Since last weeks Game Plan update, I have made some progress on finding engaging real world application projects. I am still waiting on feedback about future advisory meeting and topics discussed.
Robotic arm powered by hydraulics: Last week, I discovered a balsa wood robotic arm with hydraulics in storage. The hydraulics consist of a series of hosed and syringes. I have taken multiple pictures for future visual aides for use during the project. This will provide all students a chance to see the finish project. I have since, deconstructed the robotic arm to create a list of parts and blueprints. For this project, I will create a working set of blueprints for students that need guidance or complete this activity. Students that excel at designing and understand the drafting process, I will allow them to use the drawings as starting point while creating their own design.
Knee Replacement Joint: I am thinking about placing this project on the shelf for time being. These projects are time consuming. Every project that I assign my students, I always draft and build the project ahead of time. This allows me to answer most questions or issue that each student may encounter. I am shifting my focus to completing a very accurate and detailed project that my students and complete.
Over the past week, I have also spent approximately four hours learning how to set up the 3D printer and various options. This has been a very exciting and frustrating process. Fortunately, I believe that I have figured out majority of the issued that I have encountered.